Lab 1 - WEP crack
Due 11:59pm Wednesday, September 22nd
- Wireless network is set up at HR 541 for this lab. Here is the relevant information:
- SSID: cs686ps
- Security setting: WEP 64bit
- Base station's MAC address: 00:14:6C:93:D8:10
- Submission instruction:
- Email the MAC address of your computer to the instructor.
- The instructor will send you a message when the setup is ready.
- Either use the packet dump file (details below) or capture live packets to crack WEP key. If my office door is open, come and ask me to generate traffic to expedite IV collection. This takes about 25 minutes with generated traffic.
- Get on cs686ps network with the cracked WEP key and learn the IP address of your computer.
- Get on the Internet and email WEP key and the IP address to the instructor.
- A packet dump file is provided in the Course Documents in Blackboard. Note that this file is huge, 365.2MB, so download when you have enough time.
- If you are using a Macbook Pro, then Kismac works well. I'd recommend to collect more than 200,000 unique IVs, which is the number in FAQ. At 300,000 you'll most definitely succeed.
- If you are using Windows, then Aircrack-ng-1.1-win.zip works well with a dump file.