Items in black are completed
Items in red are overdue
Items in green are yet to come
Italicized items are obsolete
Milestone 1: February 4, 2001
- Modified Networking Model: server runs all the time
- Smooth Scrolling: 25 fps, units move in at least pixel
space, not tile space
- Missiles: launch client-side only
Milestone 2: February 18, 2001
- Animation: walk/run frames, multiple directions
- Map: Draw the world in a paint program where the colors
represent different tiles. (no transition tiles between terrain types.)
- Stats system: structure with fields for hitpoints, missile
damage, hth damage, etc.
- Collision detection: between units no more overlapping,
detect missile hits (client draws, server no action) at the pixel level
- Smooth scrolling of the screen
- Remote pixel-level movement
- Complete network library
- More interesting map layout
Milestone 3: February 25, 2001
- Stats: attach stats to units, server-side updates to the
clients when they change.
- Missiles: apply damage on the server.
- CSV Data: system to read tab-delimited text into the game
engine as data.
- Fonts: loaded and available in-game.
- Terrain Properties: loaded from CSV data file. (speed
penalties, damage taken, etc.)
- Item Properties: loaded from CSV data file. (stat modifiers)
- Object Properties: loaded from CSV data file. (hitpoints)
Milestone 4: March 4, 2001
- Chat Interface: text messages sent and displayed to and by
- Objects: buildings, walls, trees, etc. with collision, not
- Monsters: monster units, no Ai, no stats.
- Hand to Hand Combat: second attack key, define hth range,
HIGH damage. Mutually-exclusive weapons
- Missiles: ammo quantity, regen rate?
Milestone 5: March 11, 2001
- Objects: ability to destroy objects such as buildings and
walls, as specified by item data.
- Monsters: they take damage and die.
- Items: in the form of powerups drop in the game, you can
pick them up by running over them, but they have no effect. No keypress required.
- Use money as score
Milestone 6: March 18, 2001
- Items: apply powerups
- Monsters: start applying AI.
- Inventory: view current powerups and their properties.
- NPC: units in-game, ability to activate, which causes
them to display a text message.
Milestone 7: March 25, 2001
- NPC: trade, ability to purchase powerup items.
- Map: tile transitions, algorithmically or through map editor
- Thin out terrain (too much stuff)
- Ability to destroy small terrain objects (i.e. trees) by
running over them
- No collision with dead things
- Improve the font (white on black)
- Make life and ammo a bar rather than a number
- Create a transparent help screen (shown on F1 keypress)
- Make alien tanks enemies
- Animation (explosion) when hit
- Persistency (preserve existing character)
Milestone 8: April 1, 2001
- Remove lower frame and replace with popup chat box
- Create a radar (small map) showing player locations
- Random respawn after death
- Server shows map with player locations and stats, no draw
- Upgrade robot based on score
- Create a new map & populate world with objects
- Add sounds to the game
Milestone 9: April 15, 2001
- Server test application
- Better client start-up (error handling, etc.)
- More algorithmic transitions
- Improve server networking (packet
- Improve AI to inflict damage
- Item & Monster regeneration
Other: May 15, 2001
- Fixed point math and fractional pixel
- Mouse input
- Input library
- Optimize graphics library
- More than 8 directions
- Voice over IP
- File Transfer
- Babel plugin
- Distributed Servers
Last updated: April 21, 2001 01:26 PM by afedosov