The final will be Friday, March 19th from 7:00pm - 9:00pm in room 206 of Olson Hall. It is worth 35% of the final grade. Expect around 6 questions.
There will be a final review session. Details below:
||Wednesday, March 17th|
||6:10pm - 7:30pm|
Homework 3 will be a good study reference for the final exam. There will not be any questions on low level synchronization. Here is a list of topics that may be covered:
- Semaphores. May have question like Jurassic Park question from homework, except more specific and including hints. Binary and general semaphores.
- Monitors. May have to write monitor solution for some problem, given skeleton code. Condition variables, local variables, procedures.
- Paging. Size of page table, etc.
- Segmentation. Segmentation table. Translate addresses. Understand where segment located in main memory.
- Segmentation + Paging. Page the segment table.
- Demand Paging. Page replacement algorithms. Page reference strings. May have to derive page reference string based on algorithm, and give number of page faults.
- File System. Book pages 453-470. What is a file? Directory? File storage on disks. Inodes, buffer cache, security, backup.
Always explain your answer!